Wednesday, June 3, 2009

I'm doing it - My first triathlon! Can you believe it?

OK. I have taken the first step to getting in shape...I have signed up as a member of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Team In Training. I will be training for the Susan Bradley-Cox Tri for Sight Triathlon on Sunday, September 13, 2009, in Lexington, KY.

A couple weeks ago I got something in the mail on the LLS TNT and thought it looked fun. You join the "team" and train together for a common event. So I went to the informational meeting tonight. I wondered if their trainers could really get someone like me fit enough to complete a triathlon in this short of time. They said if you follow their schedule and train with the team each week, I will be able to get to the finish line. So I took them up on the challenge.

Here's how it works...You sign-up for a small fee ($50) and you commit to train and raise money for LLS. There is a minimum that you have to raise, because they pay for all the expenses for your trip. They offer everything from a century ride from Louisville to Lexington to a marathon in Maui. Of course the Maui trip is more fundraising to do...but how fun would that be?

I decided on starting with the tri in Lexington. I always wanted to do it, and here's my opportunity. I get coaches and mentors to push me. They offer fitness, nutrition, and gear clinics. Teach you everything you need to know about technique. It would cost me way over $50 for personalized training like this. Plus, we are raising money for a great cause.
Our kick off is next Tuesday, June 9. We will get to meet our coaches, mentors and honorees.
Can't wait!

Continue following me on this incredible journey. I will try to write at least once per week, if not more. My fundraising website will be up soon. Maybe you can help sponsor me too.

No comments:

Post a Comment