Monday, July 20, 2009

Practice Tri in Lexington

Yesterday we had the great fortune to train with the Lexington Team In Training team and do the actual complete course (swim, bike and run) for the triathlon in September. We got to meet Susan Bradley-Cox, the namesake for the Tri. Very cool!

What a beautiful day for a ride on the hills of Kentucky...and do I mean HILLS! The swim went fine. I finished it feeling pretty good. Yes, all 800M!!!! Just remembering to keep a steady pace and that I am there to finish, not win!

Then on to the bikes! I felt pretty good until the first hill...then the second...then the third. Had a really hard time. I did walk up two of the hills. My knees were burning so bad, I had to get off the bike. I thought I was going to fall. I was the last one to finish, but by-God I finished!!! Being last and all, I had the fortune of having Susan riding with me. She really helped me out with changing my gears, etc. so I didn't work myself so hard. I think I have it figured out.

When we got back to the transition area, I decided that if I wanted to drive home, it was probably best I didn't try the 4 mile run. My knees were swollen, my body aching and I was plum tired! So, I iced down my knees for a while and climbed in the car to head home. The more I thought about it, the worse I felt about not trying the run. Thought about it all the way home.

Got home and showered, iced down and pretty much went to bed! This morning...I'm very glad I didn't do the run! Probably wouldn't be able to work. Getting sorer by the minute! Getting ready to ice again. Praying swimming is an easy night tonight! The water should feel good!

No comments:

Post a Comment